Sapphires in Service:
A tribute to the strength, power and service of the JLNV
In honor of the Junior League of Northern Virginia’s anniversary, the JLNV is launching an anniversary giving campaign with a goal to raise $16,500 by May 6, 2023 – the date of our 65th Anniversary Celebration of Service. This is your opportunity to participate in an exciting campaign celebrating more than six decades of service and embracing a new focus area – Women Helping Women.
Did you know?
- 4% of families are living below the poverty line in Northern Virginia.
- 28,000 Northern Virginia children live in poverty.
- Higher inflation rates will place more families at risk.
- Families headed by single women face challenges of food insecurity, housing instability, inadequate health care, and mental health issues.
- Children of color are disproportionately impacted.
The JLNV is implementing a new focus area in 2023-24 entitled – Women Helping Women. The new focus area enhances access to essential services and professional development opportunities for women and families. The JLNV is excited to be moving into this focus area where we can make a lasting impact by promoting economic stability for women and families in Northern Virginia.
Our kickoff project that had an immediate community impact was a feminine hygiene product drive for Lorton Community Action Center (LCAC). 9,117 tampons, pads, and sticks of deodorant were collected. Many more activities are being planned leading up to our official launch in 2023.
Throughout our 65-year history, the JLNV has been at the forefront of making community impact whether it was starting Reading is Fundamental in Alexandria in 1962, developing the Family Resource Center (FRC) at Shelter House in the 1990’s, or providing seed money for the Children’s Science Center in the 2000’s. Throughout the years, JLNV volunteers have been a driving force to improve our community. As we take on this new focus area we have the opportunity to make a similar impact on the lives of women and children in Northern Virginia.
We are asking you, our members, friends and community partners, to support our Sapphire Anniversary Giving Campaign.
We invite you to participate:
- By becoming a Sapphire Supporter with a $65 donation to support our work, or
- By joining the Sapphire Club with a celebratory amount of $650. Sapphire Club members will be listed on the JLNV website.
Your donation will help support our programming including our community grant program for this League year as we seek additional community partners that will join with us as we expand into this new focus area.
Please join us to help shape our future service to Northern Virginia. We need your help!