JUNIOR LEAGUE OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA AWARDS $10,000 TO METRO DC & NORTHERN VIRGINIA NONPROFITS AIMED TO REDUCE CHILDHOOD OBESITY
MCLEAN, VA (June 22, 2022) – For 65 years, the Junior League of Northern Virginia (JLNV) invests in Northern Virginia through grants to esteemed nonprofits through a rigorous selection process every year. JLNV will award more than $10,000 in grant funding and volunteer hours with a focus on Healthy Eating, Active Living, and Access to Healthy Food Options. The Junior League of Northern Virginia is a nonprofit organization celebrating 65 years of service with more than 145 active members.
The 2022-23 Awardees are:
- Arcadia Farm – $3,900 to support Summer Farm Camp full scholarships for 13 youths and up to 75 volunteer hours.
- JK Community Farm – $2,700 to support the construction of four bio-intensive raised beds for food education and nutrient dense produce production and up to 75 volunteer hours.
- Bridges to Independence – $1,440 to support the purchasing of healthy snacks and meals for elementary-age children in after-school and evening programming within the Youth Development Program.
- Keen Greater DC – $1,000 to support the purchasing of sports equipment appropriate for youth with special needs.
- ALIVE!, Inc. – $960 to support the purchasing of healthy foods and snacks to include in backpacks distributed to local children.
The community initiatives this year are focused on empowering elementary-aged children in low-income communities to make healthy eating and active living a priority. By introducing children and their families to plants and vegetables through farm and gardening programs, we communicate healthy nutrition and diet; access to healthy food options; and physical activity programs.
Since 1958, our members have raised more than $2 million dollars to implement more than 35 community programs in Northern Virginia. Our members have provided hundreds of thousands volunteer hours in support of Northern Virginia nonprofits. We have engaged in various community initiatives, from combating homelessness and STEM education to healthy eating and active living initiatives for kids and families.
The Junior League of Northern Virginia strives to make a difference in the community by promoting the potential of women through voluntarism and leadership development.
To learn more about JLNV’s community initiatives and grant selection process, please visit jlnv.org.
# # #