Fairfax, VA, July 27, 2023 – The Junior League of Northern Virginia (JLNV) is proud to announce the awarding of nearly $20,000 in grants to five nonprofit organizations in the Metro DC and Northern Virginia area.
The organizations receiving grants are Bethany House of Northern Virginia, The Salvation Army, Women Giving Back, Homestretch Inc., and Arcadia Food Inc. Each organization has a unique mission and approach to providing essential services and support to women and children in crisis.
- Bethany House of Northern Virginia, based in Fairfax County, offers emergency shelter and support services to women and children escaping domestic violence. With the grant, they plan to provide safe and trackable transportation options for clients, ensuring their safety and facilitating access to important appointments and resources.
- The Salvation Army serves the Washington, DC area and focuses on meeting the needs of low-income neighborhoods and traditionally underrepresented groups. Their grant will support the Arlignton Mothers Support group to expand the regular food distribution events, including supplies specifically for mothers of young children, like diapers and formula.
- Women Giving Back, a nonprofit dedicated to supporting women and families in crisis, will use the grant to expand their services and hours in 2023. This includes providing transportation for women, on-site job skills services, enhanced trainings for volunteers and referral partners, and organizing a Kids Extravaganza event.
- Homestretch Inc., which helps families in poverty and homelessness achieve long-term stability, aims to enhance employment opportunities for women in their program. The grant will support employment services such as UBER cards for transportation, funding for short-term classes to develop job skills, and assistance with purchasing clothing needed for employment.
- Arcadia Food Inc., a nonprofit focused on cultivating local food systems, will allocate the grant toward providing scholarships for their summer Farm Camp. These scholarships will allow children from low-income families to experience an immersive, healthy day camp that explores gardening, nature, and fresh foods.
Since 1958, JLNV members have raised more than $2 million dollars to implement more than 35 community programs in Northern Virginia.
JLNV is an organization of women whose mission is to advance women’s leadership for meaningful community impact through volunteer action, collaboration, and training. Through these grants, JLNV aims to empower and uplift women in need and create lasting change in the community.
For more information, please contact:
Public Relations and Digital Media Manager
Junior League of Northern Virginia
About the Junior League of Northern Virginia
The Junior League of Northern Virginia (JLNV) is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and improving the community through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. JLNV has been serving the Northern Virginia area for 65 years and has a strong history of supporting local nonprofits and making a positive impact on the community.
Note to editors:
High-resolution images and additional information about each organization are available upon request.